View Single Post
Old 12-27-2023, 04:09 PM   #67
Lutraa
Well Read
Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK 3G, K4B, Nook HD+, Galaxy S3
Happened to me in November 2023

My Paperwhite will remain in airplane mode permanently from now on. I gave Amazon a piece of my mind about the unauthorized deletion of content, which included my own creative writing, along with reference documents I had converted from other formats for use when I am traveling far off grid, as is common here in Alaska.

I choose not to use Amazon's cloud to store and download such content, as is my right. I own the Kindle device and if I wanted to use it merely as a large external drive, I have every right to do this without Amazon meddling in my decision by eliminating anything that didn't originate on its servers.

Of course I have all the originals in Calibre but am livid about having lost reading progress, notes, and other metadata in the intrusive purge. If there is an easy hack to permanently disable the WiFi antenna, I'd love to hear about it.

I left a scathing review of my Paperwhite at Amazon, and was incredulous when they actually published it! I urge others to do likewise, if only to warn new owners of the perils of letting Amazon see what you have stored on your device in the privacy (so you thought) of your home.
Lutraa is offline   Reply With Quote