View Single Post
Old 04-21-2021, 01:36 PM   #28
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
  • Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
  • War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
  • Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
  • Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
  • The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo
  • Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
  • Bleak House by Charles Dickens
These are all great great reads.

I've read all but The Hunchback of Notre Dame, which I'd love to read since I loved Les Miserables. I have seen the old old (almost a century old now!) 1923 silent film version of Hunchback so I somewhat know the story (who doesn't know the story though? heh) but haven't seen any of the other many adaptations of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
A Tale of Two Cities and especially Nicholas Nickleby.
I've never read either of those two Dickens and would love to read both.

A Tale of Two Cities is one it seems everyone has read or at least had to read in school but somehow it escaped me. I don't know even the most general plot abstract for it (besides the 'two cities' aspect) which I like in a way; since I already know I want to eventually read it, I savour the idea of being able to go into a book so blindly.

I do somewhat know the story of Nicholas Nickleby, at least the parts I remember, from watching the enjoyable 2002 film adaptation, and I'd be happy to read the book.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote