View Single Post
Old 09-16-2019, 09:03 PM   #28
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
You might be right, Bookpossum, but it didn't feel like that to this reader. And definitely got me off on the wrong foot with the book. While I ultimately liked the book, if this hadn't been a book club read, I'd have walked away from it well before I got to the parts I could enjoy.
I think it made him more genuine and I trusted what he had to say later in the book because he had been honest about his younger self. After all, how many of us were perfect little angels all our lives? I know I wasn't, and I certainly loathed school, though my rebellion was to do the least amount of work possible in order to pass each year so I didn't have to repeat a year and prolong the agony.

I probably have more sympathy for Rebanks than others do. It took me ten years to get over hating school and realise I wanted to go to university. So I could empathise with his situation, even though I have otherwise lived a very different, suburban, life.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote