View Single Post
Old 04-13-2024, 10:00 AM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Nonsense. If anything there are more issues with a cloud service. It's just a server and needs extra software compared with a standalone device.

Also debugging Internet facing services is a horror with multiple "languages" script types in one text file that's not compiled.

I've worked on both for the day job.

Also so called cloud services have multiple users and a remote client vs one user and local GUI. They are a horror to develop and debug.
I too have relevant work experience, and I will stand by my opinion. If you are ever in California, please look me up and we can trade stories.

But none of that is relevant because there are facts about Scribe that weigh in here, namely that Notebook format does not store text. It is just a series of 1 or more pages, each with zero or more strokes, which contain 1 or more points, with attributes (x, y, timestamp, thickness, and optionally pressure and tilt). Even what looks like text in Templates is just strokes.

They could do on device handwriting OCR (the Fire 11 Max does), but what would they do with the text without changing the format and immediately introducing all sorts of complexity that they decided early was not necessary for modeling a pencil and paper experience. (well, they could generate an index, that would be nice).

Last edited by tomsem; 04-13-2024 at 10:06 AM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote