View Single Post
Old 02-14-2011, 12:49 PM   #1
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
Question Scanning old books for my NOOKColor

I have quite a collection of old, copyright-free, children's books that I'd love to convert to read on my NOOKColor, just for my own use. I haven't been able to find any of them available on the Internet, probably just because they are so obscure that you can hardly find them in hardcover anymore.

I'm on a Mac, O.S. 10.5.8, and have a Canon PIXMA MG5220 Scanner. Would I need OCR software? Is Abbyy Fine Reader a good choice? How about Velociraptor?

Or as a fast typist (over 100 wpm on a regular typewriter, so presumably faster on a computer keyboard) would I be better off retyping the books, and if so, into what format? I don't have MS Word, just Apple Pages or TextEdit.

Is my goal to turn whatever I type into a PDF and then convert that to an ePub document in Calibre?

Sorry for all the questions--this is all very new to me. Any advice or direction to a site where this is all explained would be much appreciated. TIA!
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote