View Single Post
Old 04-22-2016, 12:27 AM   #52
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
This is another clueless author who doesn't really understand the difference between the Google Library and Google Publisher programs, and thinks that if the Supreme Court had overturned the lower court, the results from Google Publisher would either stop or would force Google to pay the authors some sort of royalty. I don't know if she'll approve my comment other there, but I'm repeating it below:

I'm afraid you are confusing the two Google book search programs. It can be confusing because Google uses the same search page to search for books in both the Library project and the Publisher project. I have seen quite a few commentaries about this lawsuit written by people who did not understand the differences between the two projects and the results you get from a book search. It makes me want to dismiss everything you say about the case, because even though you've read all the court opinions and briefs, you apparently still don't understand what the suit is about.

The Library project, which is the one that was the basis of the suit that the Author's Guild brought against Google, and was decided by the courts to be fair use, only returns roughly 3 lines of text per search (I've seen 5 when the search results displayed a footnote) when the book is not clearly in the public domain (i.e., if it was published prior to 1923). If the book results say full-text view or snippet view, it's a search result from the Library project.

The Publisher project, which was never contested by the Author's Guild or the publishers, is a project where the publisher or copyright holder provides an electronic copy of the book to Google, and Google returns result where the link is Preview. In this case, the preview of the book, which is usually something like 20% of the book is made available by someone's search for the book. In fact, the example you start with in this blog post, Kristin Hannah’s The Nightingale, is a Preview result, which means the 16% displayed is with the permission and assistance of the publisher, and would not have been affected if the Supreme Court had chosen to hear the case and overturn the lower court.
Love this. Oh and you haven't been approved yet over there.

Oh and this author sounds like one of "million club" on Amazon.

Now correct me if I am wrong but I do believe there is money in that there blog.
Ok she doesn't want Google to make any money off her. Then why should she make money off Google? She should tell Google to make sure her blog isn't in their search engine.
Hey fair is fair.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote