View Single Post
Old 04-24-2016, 12:32 PM   #13
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@geekmaster: Does the K1 has the same fuse proxy layer as later devices? If it does, does running stuff from base-us instead of us work better?
There is not base-us, so no fuse. It does have the added complexity when mounting of dealing with both the raw bml0/9 device AND the sector-translated stl0/9 device, along with extra wrangling with the device drivers to perform the mount. The /mnt/mmc device (SD card) is much simpler because mmc (SD) devices contain their own embedded processor and firmware to hide sector translation from the host (kindle in this case). OTA update mode is not particularly special in that "otaup" is called inside the framework script when the framework exits successfully (presumably when UYK is selected). A restart from the menu must not return "success" or otaup would run.

Also, on the k1, the update*.bin package is NOT removed (only update_system*.bin firmware updates are removed) in the framework script. My install.sh now removes all update*.bin files from /mnt/us and /mnt/mmc before doing anything else. Because my script kept running when waking up from screensaver mode, it may also be necessary for install.sh to clean up the files (install.sh etc.) from the /tmp folder as well.

Exploring the K1 is certainly a learning experience, considering all the differences (and similarities) with other kindle devices. This weird problem of not being able to run anything from /mnt/us is puzzling considering that the files are both found (-f) and executable (-x). I need to try running a copy from /tmp again, because existing scripts do that so it must work -- just need to figure out what I did wrong in my attempt.

Also, the Eye-Fi card is a big PITA, insisting that I log into their cloud service just to configure my SD card. I tried a password reset on my Eye-Fi account, but they never sent me the confirmation email. I really need to find my Transcent wifi SD card, which should be in my box of Raspberry Pi stuff (if I can find it)...

EDIT: The kindle does not keep the SD card powered up for any significant amount of time, which only makes sense when conserving battery, but that makes a wifi SD card useless in this context. And all variations of trying to run a script from /mnt/us (or copying it to /tmp first) have failed (again). They run from /mnt/mmc (SD card) so I guess I will just have to get used to waiting a long time for SD card mount and eject over USB. I detest "giving up" on something that SHOULD work, but I have spent enough time stuck on this (for now)...

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-24-2016 at 02:47 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote