View Single Post
Old 04-10-2024, 06:12 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by srv181 View Post
Thanks for your answers.
I sync to OneDrive because it's a good way to backup the libraries as well as often having access to books on other devices without hassles.

I am aware of the warnings about syncing in the post mentioned, but honestly, I've been using this method for years and have never had a problem.
That's what many people who Live Sync (running calibre and a sync tool concurrently) say, and then they have a problem and they have to rebuild their library as best they can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srv181 View Post
The only thing that seems to help is this:
1. turn off sync on Onedrive (which has to be done every 24 hours, or by logging out)
2. work normally in Calibre
3. close Calibre
4. move the full-text.db to a directory that is not being synced
5. let OneDrive sync everything else
6. move the full-text.db back to the Calibre library folder
7. turn off Onedrive sync again

then, once a week or so, I let OneDrive sync everything

>>> it works but is tedious and problematic because it means that other (non-Calibre) Folders are not geting synced.

Anyway, I appreciate your attention to the question
It's safer and just as, or even more, efficient to use a third party sync tool to backup your calibre library - but run it periodically (e.g. once a day) when calibre is not running. Here's a list of potential candidates ==>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...ation_software

Many of them will synch to cloud storage, and support file exclusion. Be sure to only do one way syncs (mirroring) on calibre libraries.

I like GoodSync, mainly because it was one of the few robust sync tools when I first started using it about 15 years ago. FreeFileSync and rsynch are also popular amongst calibre users. I exclude the full-text-search.db file and the .caltrash folders.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote