Thread: Ebooks and Age
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2016, 03:01 PM   #50
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I think it is very obvious that the reason why ebooks are predominantly bought by elderly women is because ebooks are predominantly meant for and suited to m0mmy p0rn.

Not at all. Such dismissal misses the point that a large percentage of buyers/readers are women over 45. The romance category covers everything from flame 1 to books that went up in flames. It covers Christian romance, sweet romance, etc.

Based on my own readership, it easily skews to 45 and older, mostly women. Women do a lot more reading/book buying than men and this is not new. I worked in a library before ebooks really took off and even then, most patrons were 45 and older, female. Second was probably moms bringing their kids in and checking out books both for themselves and the kids. Book readers/buyers was probably similar before ebooks and more of a cultural trend than having anything to do with ebooks.

I write cozy mysteries, urban fantasy (also marketed as paranormal romance and paranormal mysteries) and fantasy (also marketed as fantasy romance). My books are a flame 1 on just about any romance rating scale, yet the demographics that I see reading my books are mostly over 45 and women.
Have I struck a nerve?

Because that is the only (still bad) explanation I can find for why you:
  1. Misquoted me.
  2. Ignored the important context of the part of my post which you excised.
  3. Ignored every other post I made in this thread to date.
  4. Proceeded to assume the worst.

So, for the record, peeps, the full quote was:
Quote:
I think it is very obvious that the reason why ebooks are predominantly bought by elderly women is because ebooks are predominantly meant for and suited to m0mmy p0rn.

Real book readers read on hand-illuminated vellum. And even the wannabes at least have the decency to use those cheap paper things rather than soulless electrons.
Note the second paragraph.

I shall conclude by repeating another of my posts, and hopefully this time the message will sink through:
Quote:
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote