Thread: Sigil niggles
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2024, 01:20 PM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
1. That is expected behaviour. It will paste to the previous last window open that has focus. If you can get a producible crash please provide the instructions how.

2. Why?

3. You control your ui fonts and size through Sigil Preferences. Find and Replace will inherit those. You can of course use qt stylesheetsettings (.qss) to further modify things.

4. Which order are you talking about? Search order and direction are controlled by your last Find and Replace setting. Please provide a sample epub and exact sequence of steps needed to see what you are referring to.

Update: in order to do multiple replaces in a single file, you must make the replacements from the bottom of the file upwards so that the file positions of each match are kept correctly. Doing a replace starting at the top of the file first will not work as any other starting locations are now incorrect unless the replaced string jast happened to have exactly the same number of characters as the string being replaced. If you only find and replace one at a time and repeat this is not an issue but for bulk lists of file replacement locations like DryRun and Replacement Tables, doing them in reverse order matters.

So that reverse order is a requirement for both the DryRun and Full Replacement Table versions of ReplaceAll.

5. Preview scrolling is automatic to centre a particular piece of code / curser. Nothing I can do here as QWebEngine controls that. The easiest solution is to undock Preview and move it to another screen and grow it to prevent the need for horizontal scrolling. If you only have one monitor, then click in Preview then use Sigil's zoom bar to zoom Preview out to prevent the need to scroll.

6. You control which tab is closed. And showing a particular image and closing it adds it to the current tab order. Just close the tab you want.

7. I am not seeing this at all. I can open any xhtml file so it shows in Preview. Then in CodeView open a CSS file that is linked to that xhtml file and see live changes. Sometimes if a css change is broken then Preview is not updated. Hitting the manual reload button in Preview fixes that.

8. That is already a variable delay. As long as you are actually still typing, no update of Preview is scheduled. If you pause typing, then after a short interval Preview will auto update.

9. Yes we are reloading the full xhtml file in Preview and then scrolling to where CodeView
tells us to go. I can not see this on my MacOS machine but I use normal file sizes with few images and I have a fast machine.

On a slower machine with many images, fonts and larger than typical file sizes (ie. cramming more than one chapter into a single file) the reload delay becomes more noticeable.

Splitting xhtml to hold only one chapter, and turning off auto red squiggle spell checking normally helps speed things up.

Many many niggles just go away when using normal size xhtml files with just one chapter per file. Splitting monolithic multi-chapter files should always be your first step.

Last edited by KevinH; 03-21-2024 at 02:10 PM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote