View Single Post
Old 09-15-2022, 07:47 AM   #25
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post

On the subject of DNFs generally, I'm almost at 100 for 2022, meaning that I am DNFing about 1 book out of every 5 I start. I regard this a very positive development, embracing the "life's too short" mantra.
I agree that “life’s too short.” Why prolong something that’s not enjoyable? Moreover, there’s no test on Monday. What’s the point of plowing through something just to notch another book done? Reading’s for love. Too many people make a contest out of it, even if only with themselves. Reading goals are fine so long as they add to the fun, but sometimes it seems as if the challenge becomes the point, rather than the enjoyment and enlightenment.

Still, too many DNFs and I start to wonder about my criteria. Time spent on a lousy book is essentially time wasted in the interval between “Huh” and “No more!” The problem isn’t those where after flipping through a few pages you move on; I don’t consider those DNFs. It’s the ones where you’ve settled in for the duration, only to come to that sinking realization that it’s not working out. You still had your entertainment at least for a while, but the lingering bad taste is a bummer.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote