View Single Post
Old 07-01-2021, 02:10 PM   #10
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post

In the end, did anyone not know that the victim was Mark and the murderer Cayley from the get-go? A few red herrings would have been welcome. Even making allowances for its period and that it was early in the golden age, the whole effort was pretty skimpy. Compare it to Dorothy L. Sayers’ Whose Body? published only a year later - well, there’s no comparison, in terms of complexity of plot, a host of fleshed-out characters and general wit. A pity, as actually I think Milne is pretty funny. I’m no fan of Pooh (I’m in the Dorothy Parker camp on that one), but his essays are good for a smirk.
Like you, I figured they were likely wrong on who the body was. Wasn't sure of the murderer though, thought the author was leading the reader in one direction and that the characters would be surprised to find it was someone else instead, such as one of the primary 2 friend investigator team Bill and Antony, or something. We didn't really get into Cayley's POV the same so that is kind of obvious. We didn't have a large suspect pool to really fish from.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote