View Single Post
Old 05-30-2021, 06:35 AM   #75
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
So far, (and I’m probably behind most readers) I am finding the Gwendolen Harleth section very brilliantly written and quite reminiscent of Jane Austen. The social scenes in Book 1 have all the irony-fuelled qualities we see in Eliot’s great predecessor. The next point is from chapter 4 of Book 1 so it is made fairly early on, but I will put it in as a spoiler.

Spoiler:
The attitude to marriage by Gwendolen harkens back to Charlotte Lucas:
“ . . . but to become a wife and wear all the domestic fetters of that condition, was on the whole a vexatious necessity. Her observation of matrimony had inclined her to think it rather a dreary state, in which a woman could not do what she liked, had more children than were desirable, was consequently dull, and became irrevocably immersed in humdrum. Of course marriage was social promotion; she could not look forward to a single life; but promotions have sometimes to be taken with bitter herbs – a peerage will not quite do instead of leadership to the man who meant to lead; and this delicate-limbed sylph of twenty meant to lead.”

BTW Am I supposed to save any discussions until later? I gathered that we would be discussing the book in stages as it developed. Hence, my comments are only on the first section. Let me know if I am in error. (?

Last edited by fantasyfan; 05-30-2021 at 07:48 AM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote