View Single Post
Old 05-25-2021, 08:17 AM   #63
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I haven't spent as much time as I would like with the book so far, but have seen enough of Gwendolen to decide that she is a brilliant portrait of a narcissist. She ticks all the boxes:

- an excessive need for admiration.
- disregard for others' feelings.
- an inability to handle any criticism.
- a sense of entitlement.

I do like Eliot's occasional amusing asides. As an example, the description of the horse Rex was riding and on which he came to grief:

Quote:
... his father's grey nag, a good horse enough in his way, but of sober years and ecclesiastical habits.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote