View Single Post
Old 05-24-2021, 01:30 PM   #62
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBird View Post
I have to say this is the first book in which I have had to re-listen to so many sections. Not sure why, I'll be reading (listening) and find I myself completely at sea and have to go back a page or two.
I listened to the opening 15 minutes about three times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I am really struggling with Deronda as a character. He just feels like a Mary Sue / Marty Stu to me. For those unfamiliar with the concept, this is a good history in Smithsonian Magazine:

"Mary Sues" as a concept date back to 1973 and the term came about exclusively in the Star Trek fandom. Marty Stu is a moniker that was adopted later to encompass male characters who operated the same way. But the notion of a character that is just so capital-G-Good that everyone loves them and can do no wrong definitely dates further back...
Marty Stu for a male version lol- I love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Gwendolyn is a Trollope heroine suddenly thrust into a Dickensian plot.

I wonder if Mirah will traverse a reverse course from a dark beginning on the stage to the possibility of rescue through marriage.
I love the turn of phrase ‘traverse a reverse’!
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote