View Single Post
Old 11-20-2021, 05:02 AM   #23
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I was struck by this since my favorite period for romance novels is the turn of the last century, when standout authors included Anthony Hope, George Barr McCutcheon and Stanley Weyman. So with that in mind, I’ll nominate:

The Red Cockade by Stanley Weyman. A romance set during the French Revolution, it was published in 1895. Obviously free to download.

And among the books I loved when I was a young adolescent were the gothic novels of Mary Stewart and Victoria Holt. I haven’t read any of them since and I wonder what I’d think now. So I’ll nominate one of my favorites:

Nine Coaches Waiting by Mary Stewart. It’s set among crumbling French aristocrats and the heroine is an English governess.

These do sound interesting, but I was hoping to be able to get the winner from the library.

Especially Nine Coaches Waiting. With a title on Amazon of "Nine Coaches Waiting: The twisty, unputdownable romantic suspense classic" how can it not be good.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote