View Single Post
Old 03-25-2024, 08:43 AM   #1
Lily2
Lily2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Kindle Oasis vs Kobo Libra 2 vs other options?

Hi.
My fairly old Kindle Paperwhite is slowly dying on me, probably I let the battery go super empty too often.
I'm now looking into what new options there are and am a bit overwhelmed because I know only the amazon ecosystem but dont see a hard reason why I should be restricted to that.
My existing library is mostly free downloaded epubs, and some amazon stuff I wouldnt care about. I used Calibre for managing the downloaded epubs.

I dont ever see myself listening to audiobooks.

What I wish for:

- Backlight with a regulation for the blue light because I often read at night. If it could auto-regulate the brightness that would be a plus.

- Waterproof

- A way to switch pages that is not a swipe but easy to press with the same hand I'm holding the device with

- A good offline dictionary that gives definitions because I read in english and its not my native language

- Some way to search in a book for something or look something up without losing my actual position if I have forgotten who that was again or something. (But thats not a must, I survived without so far)

- It would be great if there was a way to browse new books from my phone to load onto the device. I dont really know anything about the shops other than amazon, or the options to lend ebooks from libraries, but wanna get into that - recommendations on these options very welcome (I mostly read YA, fantasy and science fiction).

Thanks for any hints
Lily2 is offline   Reply With Quote