Thread: StoryGraph MR Reading Challenge Masterpost
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2023, 10:18 PM   #32
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I think that’s part of what set my teeth on edge a bit; it’s a perfectly pleasant read but there’s a lack of rigor. And I run into variations of this problem frequently it seems, when the voice of the text doesn’t match the reality of the setting. Historical novels with 21st century sensibilities, for example; it’s also endemic in myth retellings in the original setting.
Indeed. I suppose it's because she does stuff on TV also, where she is being quite chatty. I have just watched her programme on Agatha Christie, which was okay, but didn't inspire me to get her book.

Somehow it's acceptable there because of the whole tone of the programme, where the printed (or electronic) page needs a bit more gravitas. It's a pity, because clearly she has done a lot of research.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote