View Single Post
Old 12-28-2023, 01:53 PM   #13
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal Jancik View Post
To put it straight: Inkpad 4 has a significantly better contour and contrast as a reader with the E-INK Carta, but it does not achieve as strong a contrast as a reader with the same EiINK Carta 1200 screen.

In short, the contrast against the previous models is of course good, but against the Kobo or Tolino (for models with E-INK Carta 1200 type screen), the contrast is not so pronounced, which quite surprises me, that's all.

"" But I think it's intentional on Pocketbook's part, since strong contrast can be too aggressive for some readers and PB doesn't offer the possibility of font contrast in the settings, so they chose a compromise. ""
I find it extremely unlikely that they intentionally lowered the contrast so as to not offend the eyes of some extremely sensitive readers. It's much more likely that they've just failed to develop a screen that's matte enough not to act as a mirror, but that still will let through the right amount of light. They have historically used sunken screens, so it's probable that they haven't found the right kind of glass layer to use yet.

No e-ink screen comes even close to having too much contrast. All of them are significantly worse than printed paper books on that front. I welcome Carta 1300 and all better glass layers.

Onyx Boox used to have this problem with their screens. I hardly ever read on my Nova 3 since the contrast is too low. Their newer screens use micro-etched glass. Reading on my Palma is a joy. I hope Pocketbook also starts using screens like that.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote