View Single Post
Old 04-02-2007, 10:43 AM   #1
ravizvoice
ravizvoice began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Taming the PDF beast

Hi All,

Happy to be joining the reader community here :) Just got hold of my new PRS-500, thanks to my brother, who picked it up for me in the US. It isn't released yet in India, where I am from.

I was hoping to move to the PRS-500, many of my PDF Docs (tutorials / API references / Programmer Guides) that I had downloaded and lined up for reading. I was disappointed to see the way they showed up on the device. Even attempted the conversion utilities such as JAP, PDFRastafarian, etc. and the display of the output LRF files was still a challenge to my near-sighted vision.

I've come up with a Word macro that can be used to format the PDF text content (i.e. no images) and save it as an RTF file. Using it, I've moved some of the Python Docs to my PRS-500, and I am happy with the result. The font sizes are reasonably large, and the file is also compact (more or less the same size as the original PDFs), allowing you to pack more files.

I tested it on Office Word 2003. Hope it works on earlier versions too. If it is useful, I can explore doing a similar thing for OpenOffice.

The attached zip file contains the formatter macro and the Instruction Manual. Would be happy to answer any queries.

Thank you.
Attached Files
File Type: zip PDF2RTF.zip (69.2 KB, 425 views)

Last edited by ravizvoice; 04-03-2007 at 02:40 AM.
ravizvoice is offline   Reply With Quote