View Single Post
Old 03-10-2024, 08:07 AM   #1
Wrzlbrmpft
Wrzlbrmpft began at the beginning.

Device: color 3
Reader or tablet?

Good day,

recently my old tablet had an unfortunate incident with the stone-tiles and since then it is rather difficult to use

Well, I thought about what to use in the future and decided to try an ebook-reader for the „usual” reasons, like being less restraining for the eye and such.

My first try was a tolino epos, which I bought, turned on, realised I am forced to register and have advertising use up 1/3 of the home screen, and returned to the shop.

My second reader is a pocketbook colour 3. I tried it and yes, it does display a fine image and is quite comfortable to read, BUT...

I’d like to use it for newspapers, magazines and technical papers mainly. Real books I prefer in my shelf

So first thing I noted was epub is widely used but lacks formatting suitable for such papers, especially magazines.

Second, beside the (sometimes coloured) cover image, there are only a few books for children which actually have photos and images. Even my newspaper doesn’t include a single picture.

Third, my favourite newspaper has a neat app which tells me about available papers and lets me download and display in a jiffy. The reader needs to use an included browser and open, navigate to the link, download, open from library.

So I wonder, am I wrong saying there is no actual advantage using an ebook-reader over a standard tablet?

The display is less friendly to the eye. But it needs some lighting anyway and in common indoor-conditions there is only a small difference between a dimmed tablet and the color 3 reader.

The „screen refreshes too much and hence fatigues the eye is - in my humble opinion - a bit of urban legend since LCD screens do not refresh as noticably as old cathode-ray tubes (some of you might remember)

So, should I just return the reader and go for a tablet instead?
Wrzlbrmpft is offline   Reply With Quote