View Single Post
Old 12-13-2022, 10:20 AM   #71
denisuu
Zealot
denisuu has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Onyx Leaf 2 (White)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
It depends. If the PCB layout has pads on the bottom that are electrically connected, I'd grab a scrap of 0.1" perfboard to use as a template and my 0.9 mm carbide drill and drill four holes. If there are no pads but sufficient clearance under the PCB I'd still do that and wire the connector with 30 AWG wire. You could use right angle headers tack soldered to the top, but they'd project more. If you connected with wires you could use a smaller connector than 0.1" pitch, like 1 mm. You could have the connector come out a side slot. It might also be that the Type C connector has Alt Mode for debug.

On my Poke3 the kernel doesn't have the serial driver so there's no Android console. There were holes in the board, but the tolerances underneath are very tight. I soldered in the connector then filed the pins and solder almost flush.
Interesting for sure.

I didn't remove the USB port, but I'm pretty sure there's no speaker underneath as that corner isn't magnetic. So maybe lining up a female PCB socket behind those holes might be a good idea. That way you could just stick pin-headers trough the speaker-holes. (If there's enough clearance underneath.) You wouldn't even see any modification from the outside.

The bread-board you use in between is so that it could not damage the hardware in case you switch up TX and RX?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	speaker-grill.png
Views:	148
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	198376  

Last edited by denisuu; 12-13-2022 at 10:22 AM.
denisuu is offline   Reply With Quote