View Single Post
Old 01-19-2023, 09:04 AM   #4
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
There is some definite depth lacking, but some real bright spots. I do rather enjoy an author actively debating points from other books/sources in the text.
I noted your mention of the Tomalin biography. I’ve only read her biography of Nelly Ternan, Dickens’ mistress, which was fantastic. I doubt I’ll bother with her Austen bio as this will be enough Jane to hold me for quite some time. Mostly, I’m not all that interested in author’s biographies unless the life itself was interesting or it casts a wider net, which in fairness this book by Worsley does. I attribute that in part to a very influential high school English teacher who was a strong advocate of New Criticism.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote