View Single Post
Old 01-19-2023, 08:30 AM   #3
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I’m halfway through and I have mixed feelings. It’s a pleasant, entertaining read but I don’t feel as if I’m getting much depth or insight from it. I’ve read better books about women’s lives in Georgian England; this is good about that but it doesn’t add to my understanding. Perhaps it’s the fannish aspect that sets my teeth on edge a bit.

Every now and then, Worsley says something insightful about one of the books and those are my favorite parts. I hope there’s more of that now that Jane’s hitting her writing stride.

I have to note that Worsley got the date of Louis XVI’s execution wrong. Just sloppy and not important, but I wish books in general did a better job of fact-checking.
I totally get that. But at least she was honest about it from the outset. I keep coming back to the contrast with Shapland (which was a FABULOUS book) because it was unashamedly a memoir tied in with the discovery of McCullers and her life. I did feel like I learned more about McCullers though.

There is some definite depth lacking, but some real bright spots. I do rather enjoy an author actively debating points from other books/sources in the text.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote