View Single Post
Old 01-19-2023, 08:13 AM   #2
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I’m halfway through and I have mixed feelings. It’s a pleasant, entertaining read but I don’t feel as if I’m getting much depth or insight from it. I’ve read better books about women’s lives in Georgian England; this is good about that but it doesn’t add to my understanding. Perhaps it’s the fannish aspect that sets my teeth on edge a bit.

Every now and then, Worsley says something insightful about one of the books and those are my favorite parts. I hope there’s more of that now that Jane’s hitting her writing stride.

I have to note that Worsley got the date of Louis XVI’s execution wrong. Just sloppy and not important, but I wish books in general did a better job of fact-checking.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote