View Single Post
Old 07-09-2022, 08:43 PM   #59
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
I don't like to run into patches of florid writing or swathes of "wallpaper." (gratuitous descriptive wordage.)
I like that when it is done well, It helps give me a feeling for the setting/characters/etc.

I read a fantasy novel a few months ago that was completely free of your florid writing and it was a detriment. The story took place on an island. But whithout the gratuitous descriptive verbiage, I couldn't tell if it was a tropical island or what? Were there pine trees or palm trees? The characters and buildings also were barely described.

The magic and religion were much better handled and the book was interesting. But the writing really needed some flower power.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote