View Single Post
Old 07-09-2022, 12:49 PM   #56
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
I much prefer page counts, word count is meaningless to me.
Personally, I prefer word counts. Divide the number of words by my reading speed and I have a decent idea of how long it will take to read the book.

Page count? Unless the algorithm for determining the page size is consistent, the numbers can vary all over the place. I had one book where the page count varied from 360 to 490 depending on which vendor I looked at. I also have books where the word count was different by over 20% but the page count was the same. Then we have those ebooks where base-64 encoded images were used which breaks most page count algorithms.

Part of the differences seemed to be due to some vendors quoting the page count for a pbook version while others used their own pet method of calculating the page count for an ebook regardless of whether a pbook version was available. Unless all pbooks start using the same font, font size, line spacing, margins, etc., even that information is not all that useful.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote