View Single Post
Old 06-25-2021, 10:15 PM   #8
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Has anyone read the novel Eight Perfect Murders by Peter Swanson? Among the eight fictional murders the protagonist calls perfect (i.e., almost impossible to crack) is the one in The Red House Mystery. I have not read Swanson's book (because it gives away all the murderers in the eight books, and I haven't read all of them), so I don't know what his criteria are. Still, it seems surprising to include Milne's book.

FYI, the eight "perfect" fictional murders occur in these books:
  • Agatha Christie’s ABC Murders
  • Patricia Highsmith’s Strangers on a Train
  • Ira Levin’s Deathtrap
  • A. A. Milne's The Red House Mystery
  • Francis Iles's (Anthony Berkeley Cox's) Malice Aforethought
  • James M. Cain's Double Indemnity
  • John D. MacDonald's The Drowner
  • Donna Tartt's The Secret History

I suspect Swanson's protagonist is looking at these as cases that would baffle the police or a detective and not the reader, because in at least a few of them, the murderer is known to the reader from the outset.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote