View Single Post
Old 06-20-2021, 10:03 PM   #4
Mims
Addict
Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, iPads,IPhone,Aura H2O,PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
This was entertaining enough. It was a fast and fun read with good period flavor and the banter was amusing. But it really only was good as a period mystery and not on its own merits.

Overall, the characterizations were mostly perfunctory. There was never a sense of a host of suspects, because we knew only the barest details about them and they were gotten rid of almost immediately. Some of it was silly. A hidden tunnel? That had to be old even in 1922. But in fairness, the story even admitted that it was going down the Holmesian path of absurd deductions, backward justifications so to speak, in figuring out the puzzle.

In the end, did anyone not know that the victim was Mark and the murderer Cayley from the get-go? A few red herrings would have been welcome. Even making allowances for its period and that it was early in the golden age, the whole effort was pretty skimpy. Compare it to Dorothy L. Sayers’ Whose Body? published only a year later - well, there’s no comparison, in terms of complexity of plot, a host of fleshed-out characters and general wit. A pity, as actually I think Milne is pretty funny. I’m no fan of Pooh (I’m in the Dorothy Parker camp on that one), but his essays are good for a smirk.
Closely reflects my opinion (except I do like Pooh). I first read this 5 years ago. What I most remembered about it was, that while it was not a “did not finish”, it was an “oh, get on with it!”. This reread hasn’t changed my opinion.
Mims is offline   Reply With Quote