View Single Post
Old 06-25-2022, 08:21 PM   #35
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
Spoiler:
It would be interesting to expand on this test. Add a step in the middle where you RENAME the book before turning off airplane mode in the end. If it still gets deleted then it's something inside the file. Next, run the book through Calibre and strip the DRM before side loading it onto the Kindle. Does it still get deleted? Next up would be to strip the DRM and have Calibre convert it from AZW3 to a second copy of AZW3. If you side load the second copy, does it get deleted? Next, repeat this Calibre conversion, but convert from AZW3 to EPUB as an intermediary, then from EPUB to a second AZW3 copy.

If we find out that Amazon is triggering on the filename for deletion, it would be interesting to see if instead of putting the actual downloaded file on the Paperwhite as bait, you put a totally different eBook on there that has been renamed to match the original file. Will Amazon blindly delete any file with the same name as the one you downloaded? This might be a problem if you downloaded a book named, say, "Redemption". There must be a bazillion books with this same name. Would Amazon claim ownership of one of those and delete it simply because it has the same file name?

It would be interesting to find out just what Amazon is looking for to trigger on when they delete a book. This would be handy information to tuck away in the back of your brain in case Amazon starts going rogue (like they are doing in China - shutting down there). I won't be trying this myself because my Paperwhite is permanently in Airplane Mode. I don't plan on ever taking it out of this mode. Mostly because I don't want to have some software update forced upon it that I may not like, since you can't rollback firmware.
I'm pretty sure it isn't the name. Probably the asin or something inside the file. Or several of those put together.

Last edited by Sirtel; 06-25-2022 at 08:24 PM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote