View Single Post
Old 02-20-2024, 03:03 PM   #20
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I found that the Kindle App on Android stops at the end of last paragraph on a page and needs restarted (which might be top of next page). The PocketBook and Google Playbooks Apps work fine.
The Fire is really an Android Tablet with Amazon store replacing Playstore, which is why it's possible to get Playstore Apps or apks running on it. The Kindle App on the Fire is obviously preinstalled and slightly different (buying ebooks was disabled on the Playstore version, but might come back after 1st March in EU).
To clarify, Kindle app for Android does not have TTS, only TalkBack (Android screen reader) support. FWIW, continuous reading with TalkBack does work with the Kindle app on my Galaxy Tab A, running Android 11. Maybe there is some TalkBack mode where it only reads the current screen, but if so, I could not get Kindle app to do this.

While Amazon support for screen readers is better than nearly all other reading apps (except Apple Books and maybe Google Play Books) it is sort of half baked, and hasn't improved in years. For example, it doesn't highlight text as it is reading it, even with Amazon's VoiceView on Amazon devices.

For actual Android devices, PocketBook is a much better choice than Kindle app using TalkBack. It even highlights text as it reads.

For Fire tablets, the Kindle app has TTS support for non-fixed layout content (subject to DRM restrictions), and it's relatively easy to install the required 4 APK files, including Google Play store to get PocketBook or other apps. For one-off downloads, I've used APKMirror without any issues.

Last edited by tomsem; 02-20-2024 at 04:11 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote