View Single Post
Old 09-17-2013, 01:00 PM   #8
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rouffian View Post
Hi.

So I tried the obvious solution, Kubrick. Which is brilliant, although not simple to run for me. I had to both burn a CD and then make a bootable USB stick, so it boots off the stick and reads the image from the CD.
Why? The CD is bootable. And if the USB stick is created according to the instructions, it doesn't require a physical CD either, because it contains the CD image.

Quote:
Anyway, it all goes swimmingly up until that point, but the stupid device won't go into USB Downloader mode, so Kubrick just sits there waiting for the device.
Booting into USB downloader mode is a hardware feature of the SoC. If the home button is pressed while it starts up, then the device will boot into USB downloader mode. The only two reasons why it wouldn't are a) a hardware fault, or b) you have a different SoC in the Kindle than everybody else. To be honest, both of these aren't terribly likely

So please describe exactly what you are doing, and whether the device behaves any differently from what the Kubrick instructions say. For instance, the instructions say something like "once the light turns off..." - if the light was never turned on in the first place, or never turns off, please post that. Things like that. Also post the output of the "lsusb" command before and after trying to get the device into usb downloader mode. (Press Alt+F2 while running Kubrick to get an interactive console).

And of course, the most obvious thing: have you tried a different USB cable and/or USB port?
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote