View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012, 02:55 PM   #29
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
I finally finished it. As mentioned by others it was tough slogging at points but I was really glad I persevered as I quite enjoyed it in the end.

I don't think you can ignore the racism though we have to keep it in the appropriate historical context. There is also the foreign police organizations with the Italians beating him badly and the French accepting bribes.

Alcoholism is another interesting topic with a historical context, written around the time of prohibition and its repeal.

Dick knew his divorce was coming and expected it from the start as the marriage had little purpose once she was cured. And he could never be the provider, almost nothing he did could be good enough for the social circles he aspired to. While it lasted, Nicole's mlney helped but it was never something he could be proud of. Social strata is another theme but Nicole was mostly a patient for him.

Quote:
“You’ve got too much money,” he said impatiently. “That’s the crux of the matter. Dick can’t beat that.”
Quote:
Dick waited until she was out of sight. Then he leaned his head forward on the parapet. The case was closed. Doctor Diver was at liberty.
Quote:
So it had happened-and with a minimum of drama; Nicole felt outguessed, realizing that from the episode of the camphor-rub, Dick had anticipated everything.
The ending isn't all bad news for Dick though his shrinkage apparently continues.

Quote:
...Galena; his latest note was post-marked from Hornell, New York, which is some distance from Geneva and a very small town; in any case he is almost certainly in that section of the country, in one town or another.
Also like others I wouldn't call it a romance. Dramatic tragedy perhaps.

Interesting language for the time and some very funny stuff too.

Quote:
Oh, say can you see the tender color of remembered flesh?-while at the stern of the battleship arose in rivalry the Star-Spangled Banner.
Quote:
“I never did go in for making love to dry loins,” said Dick.

Last edited by hpulley; 03-04-2012 at 03:01 PM.
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote