View Single Post
Old 12-19-2021, 07:46 PM   #9
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
So have people finished the book? I enjoyed it as a well written swashbuckler, set in a different part of France from the usual setting of Paris in the Revolution. From the bit of googling I did, Weyman made good use of real historical events in Nīmes in 1790.

While Hilary Mantel's A Place of Greater Safety remains for me the best novel I have ever read about the Revolution, I thought he did well in conveying the chaos and confusion of the time, and the feeling of not always knowing who stood for what.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote