Thread: Kindle Scribe
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2024, 12:14 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterio View Post
I have a question concerning the (maybe not so recent) changes to the Kindle Scribe Firmware.

I'm considering buying it only for reading. My questions concern the MTP file transfer protocol, in comparison to the pre-MTP Kindle Paperwhite firmware (which I keep on my Kindle):
  • has the transfer of files from Calibre become exceedingly difficult, such as having to install multiple software/drivers to achieve it?
  • can custom fonts still be loaded and used?
  • is the KFX file format supported, with book covers still recognized and displayed?
  • are third-party dictionaries still loadable and recognized?

Thank you!
All of these things work as with any Kindle.

Calibre has long has support for MTP devices (e.g. Android) and only needed a tweak for Scribe. The only limitation is it will not copy cover thumbnails. There is no technical barrier to doing so, it is just a matter of modifying calibre's MTP driver to do this task for Scribe.

For side loading fonts and third party dictionaries you will need an MTP utility if you are running on macOS. I use OpenMTP.

For a command line interface you can use PowerShell commands on Windows to automate Explorer. I've installed libMTP on macOS. In either case if you want to do some task on a regular basis, it would probably entail some scripting of the command line to do it and save typing.

Last edited by tomsem; 04-23-2024 at 12:22 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote