View Single Post
Old 04-20-2021, 01:11 PM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
We’re kicking off a new reading venture and hope people will drop in. The concept is simply that of reading with friends.

The Classics Salon will be a low pressure, unstructured, no rules reading group devoted to the classics, defined for Salon purposes as public domain everywhere. There will be a new selection each quarter. People can participate as they will, although it’s hoped that enough will show up for a lively discussion.

And I think that’s it.

To start things off, the following three novels have been proposed:
  • Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes
  • Daniel Deronda by George Eliot
  • East Lynne by Mrs. Henry Wood

I’ll note that the first two titles have been suggested in earlier threads as of potential interest and the third could be something of a palate cleanser if the others seem a little daunting.

Do people have suggestions for order? We’re looking at a start day of May 15 for both reading and discussion. This list would carry us through the year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
The classics I would most like to be prodded to read include these:
  • Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
  • War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
  • Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
  • Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
  • The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo
  • Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
  • Bleak House by Charles Dickens
So are we open to nominations? I like Catlady's, except for the one's that were read in the previous book clubs. I also like Don Quixote.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote