View Single Post
Old 09-17-2019, 10:11 AM   #39
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I'm a little late, even though this was my nomination, due to a crisis at work. I won't attempt in a single post to address all the very thoughtful comments, but I would say this:

I would be terrified to take a peek at my 13 year old self. I was stagnating in a parochial school, just figuring out how to live in a closet, and had severe anger problems as a result. I did what I had to do to survive in that environment, but I would not be proud of most of it now.

I was lucky enough to escape into books outside of the required reading, which did not seem to be so readily available to Rebanks in his youth.

While I am not generally a fan of the white male son vs. father narrative (because it has been done a million times), this one did strike me. It is good to see it come full circle.

I appreciated too the almost umbilical connection of the man and his animals. You see it in his sheep and his dog Floss. I still follow him on Twitter and Instagram (where he posts almost all photos and conservation information) and have seen Floss have another littler of puppies and be retired from fieldwork. I suspect he will mourn as much on the day that dog dies as he did when his father did.

I read this and H is for Hawk in the same year, and both were in my top 10, though Macdonald ended up higher in the list. I feel like Rebanks' book is a photo album where Hawk is more a snapshot. I loved both for what they were.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote