View Single Post
Old 07-06-2016, 05:06 AM   #66
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Hi

Reading all these above comments, could someone explain -shortly- why non-hinted versions can be (nearly) as good or even better than hinted ones?

I presume that providing hinting instructions is a huge task. It also makes the font heavier. But maybe it can guarantee consistent results over many platforms, while non-hinted versions can sometimes be excellent on platform A but less good on platform B.

My guess is that the viewer software (or the machine software?) takes charge of this task but beyond this guess, it's really hazy... I just tested it on Koreader on a PW3. Which one of the two must I thank for this excellent rendering (I already said thanks to JSWolf) ?

Last edited by roger64; 07-06-2016 at 05:13 AM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote