Thread: TCL NxtPaper 11
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2024, 12:09 PM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I discovered on GBoard there is a PC Layout at the end of the keyboard layouts. It has the - and = at the end of the number row and the ¬ ! " £ $ % ^ & * ( ) _ + are above the numbers, `and - =. The / appears. The accented letters are not hinted, but do appear on a longer press.

The `key stupidly is not a dead key. It's ONLY use is for à è ì ò ù etc, though you type them and á é í ó ú by a longer press. It is not an opening single quote.

Strangely the vertical size settings on Android 8.1 are missing and the touch keys (thus keyboard) are a bit tall.

EDIT:
Still convinced this is good for PDFs, colour comics, manga etc and only a bit poorer than 300 dpi mono eink.
I have now got an actual budget (= typical screen that's not HiDPI/Retina) 10″ tablet in exchange for my Lenovo Yoga Tab for comparitive photos next week. It's a juno10 with Android 8.1 Go edition so I put Nova as the launcher (the default Launcher/Shell on TCL NxtPaper 11 isn't too bad).
Unless you like reading two-up pages on a stand, the 6″ to 8″ 300 dpi mono eink such Kindle PW3, Oasis (2 or 3) Kobo Libra, Libra 2, Forma or Sage is still better for novels.

The 10.1″ Lenovo Yoga Tab was decent running time due to 10,000 mAH cell(s). But the TCL Nxtpaper 11 (10.9″ actual) is better even though an 8000 mAH cell/pack.

The active screen strangely has rounded corners which is a bit mad. You don't notice when reading. Later I'll see what video is like. The screen is 1.667:1 and the common 16:9 is 1.778:1 which really only TV Widescreen. Cinema WS can be 1.6 to 2.7 and old SD TV is 1.333:1 but the 1920 x 1200 of some monitors is 1.6:1, so the 2000 x 1200 is unusual.

Last edited by Quoth; 02-01-2024 at 12:38 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote