View Single Post
Old 12-27-2023, 03:10 PM   #16
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
There would be absolute spoilers for Wool if others were read first. If you don't mind spoilers, that's fine. But publication order is almost always best. It's how the world came to love them after all. Why second guess the way the most people had no choice but to read them?
Fair enough. Personally, I didn't think the spoilers were that much of a big deal. We know through Wool roughly what happened, the "Spoilers" in Shift really just confirmed it. There was no "Oh my God, can you believe that!!!" moment with any spoilers.

Quote:
Besides... stories told strictly linearly are terribly overrated. I compare them to being spoonfed oatmeal.
For me, I struggle to read any other way. Must be an OCD thing...
I need to start at the beginning of the timeline and work my way through.
As you might recall, I read the entire Dune saga recently. Now, imagine trying to read that in publication order. You would be all over the place, and working that extra bit harder, trying to make it all fit the events already happened, or are to happen in the future.

Quote:
I'm curious what your definition of a "true prequel" is? I don't really recognize different grades of prequels myself, and your definition of prequel seems to differ from mine.
Bad wording.
The entire book is loosely called a prequel, which it is not.
I was simply trying to distinguish between the real prequel parts of the novel, and the part that runs somewhat concurrently with Wool.

I guess if you are going to binge read this, I firmly believe that Publication order will ruin the flow.
You can't get past the fact that Dust is a direct continuation of Wool which you break to read Shift.
If anything, then read Wool, followed by Dust. Then go back and read Shift. But you might as well just read Shift first.
Karellen is online now   Reply With Quote