View Single Post
Old 04-22-2024, 12:27 PM   #67
Timboli
Fanatic
Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Samsung Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
I agree that color use cases really match much better with a larger, magazine or comic, sized tablet.

Amazon's 10" Fire tablet is $139. Cheaper than these color eInk 7" devices. I don't think price is going to work in the eInk's favor.

Light weight is certainly an advantage of eInk. People mention batter life, but I don't think that's as much of a factor, truly. It's a talking point, but you simply charge your tablet over night, it's not a big deal.

You are also hitting the mark about a single use device. That cuts both ways. Some like a device that's only for reading. Me, if I love that I can watch movies, and engage in social media etc. AND read books and magazines.

Reading outside is another great advantage. I'd rather take an eInk to the beach. Not that I go to the beach that often.
Yep, price will certainly be a factor for most ... and the washed out aspect right now.

If I am going to watch a movie or even a TV series, then unless I am away with limited options, I am always going to use a large widescreen TV ... or maybe a smaller one in the bedroom, if just a TV series or one of the few good reality TV shows. Just like I will never read an ebook on my phone, unless I am out and twiddling my thumbs somewhere. Small screens hold no allure or attraction for me.

Pretty rare for me to read outside these days ... and it would be in the shade if I did.

My 10" Samsung Tablet still has most of its charge 6 or more months later, so I've rarely needed to charge it. But then I'm only reading something on it now and then .. usually a graphic novel or mostly it seems, a biography that contains photos. It holds its charge for a damn long time, far far longer than any of my e-ink readers, which will go flat even if I don't use them ... and that's with Wifi turned off. Wifi is only ever on momentarily, when I sync for a recent purchase.

I would buy a 10" reputable color e-ink device, and use that instead of my tablet, just to be kinder to my eyes, especially in a dark room (i.e. bed at night ... less brightness to disturb my wife too).
Timboli is offline   Reply With Quote