View Single Post
Old 03-16-2024, 12:44 PM   #39
uhi711
uhi711 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
There is a file that tells windows what to load based on the USB IDs. That may be wrong. That will be why a USB memory stick is OK and the Kindle is not.

You can copy the .inf files (and others) from good computer on a USB stick, and then boot to command line safe mode to copy the files to BSOD PC.

The sys files wouldn't be in inf, but a different place, such as C:\Windows\System32\Drivers as mentioned

Also, but memory is hazy, there are compiled "inf" files with a different ending that can't be looked at with a text editor. They can take precedence. I think Precompiled setup Information files end in .pnf, so copy those too.

Edit:
Possibly (do check) you can delete a .pnf file that has same name as .inf and it's recreated on first use of the .inf. Perhaps if the program that does that is faulty, the Kindle connects OK first time, then a faulty .pnf is made (somehow?) and next time you get a BSOD.

So copying .pnf files from good laptop may fix the issue but hide the cause, which may occur wan a new USB thing is connected a 2nd time.
Thank you for your efforts to help a lost cause!
Unfortunately, nothing helped. Besides that, to be more specific, the job was not easy at all. First, replacing any of the drivers, inf or pnf files is impossible, not even from Safe Mode cmd or elevated cmd.
The only way to replace those files is to reboot the computer in Safe Mode, then reboot it again from a Linux Mint USB drive. This way, the system files remain unprotected and can be replaced. Otherwise, if the computer is rebooted to Linux Mint after being booted normally, the system files remain locked. It is impossible to delete, rename, or replace them even in superuser mode in Linux.
I found only one file different from the same file on my laptop, but it did not help to replace it (usbhub.sys).
So I declare the mission a lost cause! Thank you anyway for being willing to help!
uhi711 is offline   Reply With Quote