View Single Post
Old 01-01-2016, 12:43 AM   #4
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
So, after all that rambling here are my reading goals for 2016:

I’m cutting back to only 4 planned challenges at AAR. I will probably add a fifth just for novellas. But the challenges are for 16 books each (we match the year), so I want to have an easy-to-reach goal. Included within the various planned challenges my goals are:
  • Read one older series which is complete (no new books to be released)
  • Read a series by a new-to-me author
  • Start a new-to-me “in progress” series (more books yet to be released)
  • Catch up and remain current on Marie Farrarella’s Cavanaugh Justice series — I’m currently 2 books behind
  • Catch up and remain current on Julie Miller’s The Precinct series — I’m currently 1 book behind
  • Catch up completely on at least two auto-buy authors I’ve fallen behind reading
  • Pick 10 “Must Read” books for the year NOT included in above series/author goals. (Existing TBR only, no 2016 releases) — I went through and chose a combination of backlist titles by favorite and new-to-me authors. While some are part of a series, most are stand-alones. The books were picked somewhat to fill the year-published or a few hard-to-match categories in the various AAR challenges. A few I chose because at the time I purchased them I was super excited to read them and then they got lost in my TBR mountain, so I’m hoping to recapture the I-want-to-read-this feeling.
Around a third of the books I have scheduled to read for the various AAR challenges are 2016 releases by my favorite authors. While that’s not all of the books I will no doubt buy in 2016, they are the ones I absolutely know I will be eager to read as soon as they are released or close to it.

I like doing the challenges because they make it easy to mix-and-match favorite authors, new releases, backlist titles, and new-to-me authors. And for 99.9% of the categories I already own more than one book which will fit, so it’s super easy to switch out one title for another if I need to. They really do help cut down on the TBR even though I often add to it more quickly than I take away.

Not included in the challenges which are only new-to-me books, I plan to reread Nalini Singh’s Psy/Changeling again series this year. I am really looking forward to it.

I also will read books above and beyond what I use for the AAR challenges. I’m very much a mood reader so it may be that nothing I’ve loosely “scheduled” to read appeals to me at the moment. But I should be able to find something in my TBR for any given mood. That’s when I turn on the cover view in Calibre and go “shopping” in my various libraries And knowing myself I will also undoubtedly do some rereading. I used to pick one author and one series a year to do this for, but except for the Psy/Changeling reread I’m not going to plan any rereads for this year. I will just pick something when the mood strikes.

~~~

What are your reading goals for the year? Any specific series or authors you want to try?

Last edited by library addict; 01-04-2016 at 03:37 AM. Reason: fix link to Sweet 16 AAR Challenge
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote