View Single Post
Old 12-13-2011, 04:13 AM   #39
andrewed
typist
andrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

Device: Kindle 3
Responses #3

Hi. Here are more responses:

~~~
34. @Kumabjorn:
Yes, I would very much like to have a pocketable device, too. I really liked having old Palm V in my wallet the year or so that I had it installed there. But I am not sure which size is best to begin with. Please see my discussion of screen size in the Specifications post (#21) as well as my response in post #20 to shark_scott's considerations in post #11, and share any further thoughts you have about it. I take it your vote is for 5"?

I like your point about cord storage. I will make it work smoothly. The burning in my hand from using a bluetooth mouse the other day reminded me why I'm not interested in building BT into the device. I guess I'm a canary in the coalmine with that stuff.

Yes to keeping the user in mind. I hope that I have made evident my primary consideration for the needs of ordinary people who just want to get basic things done without hurting or distracting themselves. That will never change.

Thanks for your ongoing interest and encouragement. Hey, I see you are in Sweden. Whereabouts? I'm in Helsingborg at the moment.

35. @Filark
Thanks for your enthusiasm. And, please support the project by adding your vote to the total in the poll here. Every vote helps enroll prospective partners in the project. See my closing comment below.

36. @pmthokku
Thanks for your comment. Yes, 8 frames per second on the Nook with freescale's processor. Ihavenotlife's hack demonstrates this nicely:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo6FDJvQ4ek

But I would be doing this even if the speed of the display were still at 1st Generation E-ink level. Let's not forget that the Kindle 1, the very first widely available e-paper device, had text entry.

I'm a writer. I just want a modern typewriter with a display as visually neutral as paper and the extra functions possible to it now: compactness, quietness, word processing, email, images, browsing (collaboration!), and including, like you wrote, just taking notes in class. If I want to watch videos, there are plenty of devices to use. Holding a device up to inapplicable standards makes no more sense than expecting a single device to do everything.

How far will I go on this issue? I may as well say it now: even if color e-ink were available, I would not use it for this device. This device would be a tool to accomplish work. There will always be a thousand people in the world who want to keep their computers in the background of their lives.

I will add your vote for a bigger screen to the stats.

37. @SleepyBob:
Thanks for asking.

Wikipedia is always a good place to start with technical subjects. See this article, which, in its very first paragraph, discusses "the repeated drawing of identical frames" in the context of frames per second:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refresh_rate

I also really liked the clarity of this piece:
http://knol.google.com/k/refresh-rat...-technologies#

Note the first item in the author's glossary, about halfway down:
Quote:
Refresh Rate: The rate at which your video card is sending complete screens from its frame buffer memory to your monitor, and the corresponding rate at which the monitor refreshes the whole image. 60hz = 60 complete refreshes per second.
[Emphases added]

Lastly, the basis of all science is always available to each of us: sensory experience. Have your eyes ever strained at a computer screen? Did it really feel like just a matter of backlighting? It always seemed to me like there was more to it than that, and sure enough, when I looked a little further into it, there was.

The ramifications are positively appalling, considering the delicacy of brain state and the numbers of people using computers who have influence on the world.
~~~

Ok, that's all I know for today. Remember, every vote counts. While this is an unscientific poll, it is still indicative. One vote here represents many more from the general public. How many more, I know not. But even if it is a mere 10x more, then we are already 30% of the way to our very small goal of 1000 units. Kind of cool, huh?

See, I live very cheaply. I don't have house or car payments or the wish to be top dog or fly to the moon. So I don't need to topple Sony or Amazon. I just need to place an order with a custom single board computer maker (of which there are thousands worldwide) large enough to pay for the time, effort, and materials involved. Even in our humble position, we have more than sufficient power to realize a good idea.

Last edited by andrewed; 12-13-2011 at 05:25 AM. Reason: clarity, cord storage issue
andrewed is offline   Reply With Quote