View Single Post
Old 12-23-2017, 11:15 AM   #74
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I find people's fixation on their fiddlefones irritating - period, even if its a decade old device.

At her suggestion, I recently had lunch with an ex. She now lives out in the sticks, in town for a workshop (I think). I swear she spent at least half of our time together f**t-a****g around with her f*****g fone.
Indeed... then there's that. Fortunately I've met a girl that doesn't have a phone addiction. (Her mom's another story though...) I'm never on my phone apart when I need it to do... phone things. That's basically contacting other people for something, or replying to/answering contact attempts, if I deem it convenient (or necessary), or I'm using services such as navigation or finding public transport times.

===

I've received the Moto G5 today. It's a fine phone as far as I can see. More than fast enough, good build quality, removable battery... it feels like 2010 all over again, before the "my phone is 0.2mm thinner than your phone" fad started and manufacturers started to glue their devices shut to be able to forego screws.

This is just what a phone should be. Large, but not too large, thin but not too thin (9.5mm), fast enough, and without carrier or manufacturer bloatware except for the many "Play *" apps I don't use. (Play Books, Play Music...)

But... it doens't pick up the new nano-sim my carrier sent me.

I renewed my contract, getting more data and more minutes for less money, and they sent me a new SIM because the old one doesn't support 4G (It's like 10 years old: a normal mini-sim cut-down to micro.) I activated it today, waited the stated 1 hour (two actually), and then tried to use it.

Nothing. The phone says both SIM-slots are empty. I swapped the card several times (even tried it the wrong way up...), but it keeps saying "No SIM-card detected."

I've called them, and the lady at support told me "it might take 24 hours for the phone to pick up the sim card." So, I asked her if she meant that it might take 24 hours for the activation to come through (which I could understand); I told her I was of the opinion the phone should be seeing the card, but not necessarily be able to use it yet. No, no, she told me... the card was activated, and it could take 24 hours for the phone to detect that the card was inserted.

I think that's BS. I still think the phone should see the card and then tell me "No Service" or something like that, until the activation comes through, but it literally says both sim card slots are empty. (It's a dual sim phone, and I've tried the card in both slots.)

Because I don't have a bunch of nano-SIM's lying around, I got her to send me another SIM, but it won't arrive before Wednesday _if_ they can even send it before that due to Christmas. If the new card also doesn't work, I'll have to factory reset and swap the entire phone as defective, hoping that will work.

Sigh. Why does _something_ always go wrong that is outside my control or planning?

When I get the new card next week, I'll press it out of the holder as a Mini or Micro-sim first, so I can try it in one of the spare (old) Nokia phones I've got lying around. If it works there, I'm assuming it'll work in the Moto G5, or the phone is defective.

Last edited by Katsunami; 12-23-2017 at 11:24 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote