View Single Post
Old 12-22-2017, 07:03 PM   #67
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
There are some reasons for choosing the Motorola G5.

- It has a _very_ good screen according to reviews.
- It's fast for the price you pay.
- Removable battery: so if the phone is still good enough after 3-5 years, you can just get a battery (hoping it won't be crap like the one for my nexus) and swap it, as I'd been able to do with every dumbphone I ever saw.
- It doesn't need a cover/case. (I don't drop phones regularly...)
- Update to Android 8.x is imminent (January/Febuary).
- Some people are jacking around with LineageOS already, and having success, and all the older Motorola G-series are supported, so there's a chance LineageOS will be ported to the G5 as well.

The Nokia 5 gets good reviews (but no removable battery). Haven't really looked into the Nokia 3, but the MediaTek MT6737 SOC (4 cores at 1.3 GHz) is a lot slower than the Snapdragon 430 (8 cores at 1.4 GHz, and better Instructions Per Second).

The Nokia 5 and the Motorola G5 are basically the same phone, with some differences:

NOK5 <=> MG5
5.2" 1280x720 <=> 5.0" 1920x1080
2 GB RAM <=> 3 GB RAM (in the Netherlands. Both phones have 2GB and 3GB versions in different countries.)
3000 mAh batter <=> 2800 mAh battery
Non-removable battery <=> Removable battery
Both run Android 7.x, with an upgrade to 8.x promised.

Those are (for me) the most important differences. I went for the MG5 because of the removable battery. The Nokia 5 does have a much better/more certain update policy though.

===

I can't (don't want) to live without a smartphone anymore. In the last 10-12 years (when I started working full time) I move around a lot more than before, and having a GF again makes this even more so, because of planning dates, visiting family around the country and such... i.e., getting to places where I'd never go or have to go when I was alone.

Google Maps, public transport apps / route planning, and instant news if something goes wrong there, are just too convenient, as is an app such as Whatsapp. (Even though I hate the fact that most of those apps I use are controlled by Facebook or Google...)

Last edited by Katsunami; 12-22-2017 at 07:10 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote