View Single Post
Old 03-18-2024, 07:56 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The PW3 is no longer getting updates. The screen is 6".
The PW4 has a terrible screen Stay away from it. The screen is 6".
The PW5 is the current Paperwhite and the screen is good. It's 6.8" and of the Paperwite models, this is the one to get.
Those are all 300 dpi, which is good.

The two earlier paperwhites are only worth bothering with if about $10/£10/€10 and you are broke, esp PW1, which is about 212 dpi and 2G storage.

The PW4 is inferior to the PW3 (a generation 7 Kindle) or PW5, but only in direct comparison. It's better than Pw1, Pw2, Any Basic, Touch etc. The current Basic is similar to a PW3. Older/Original Basic are only 167 dpi.

The Paperwhite models have two numbering schemes:
1, 2, 3, 4, 5 for first to fifth version of Paperwhite
Amazon calls them Generation 5, 6, 7, 10 & 11

The Voyage and Oasis 1 are both similar to the PW3 and also 6". The PW3 is possibly a cost reduced Voyage (slightly later release) and the Oasis 1 has page turn buttons. The Voyage is supposed to have the best screen*

The Oasis 2 and Oasis 3 are 7" with buttons. The Oasis 2 is similar screen quality to the PW3 but faster. There is a 32G verison and version with 3G as well as WiFi. There is little advantage to the Oasis3 vs Oasis 2.

[* I've not seen a Voyage. I've seen / used /owned PW1, PW3, several older Basic models, DXG, KK3, a Kindle NT (D-pad) and Oasis 2. I won't be ever buying a kindle again. I can buy Amazon ebooks and read them on more open ereaders.]
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote