View Single Post
Old 04-14-2024, 08:44 PM   #10
PerspexSphinx
PerspexSphinx began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc 7HD
> a gif that can't be stopped on a web page you are reading is evil…

Of all the things about this world which could truely be considered evil, animated GIF's in epubs are, I think, the least of our problems.

One could always put a warning label in the frontispiece or something so as to not lure the reader into the dark side of moving illustration. Or perhaps the cover could have a gentle (subtle) animation, so that the reader's sensibilities are not shocked when they delve deeper.

> A novel with animation or video doesn't work.

I obviously disagree.

> Either you are doing:
…Some kind of graphic novel

Yes, precisely, something like that (I hear they are quite popular). I was just wondering if it was technically possible to have animated GIFs augmenting the story and if so, why hardly any ereading programs seem to support it.

Now, it appears from what has been so eloquently said, that it can be done in epub3. It is just not very commonly done, am I correct in this understanding?

In which case, which ereading programs do support it, since if it is part of the epub3's standards abilities, shouldn't it be supported?

> The odd animation might work in a text book.

To this… I agree entirely.

> Animated GIF only plays in one direction and at a fixed speed.

Isn't this dependant on the player. OmniGIF for android (Cucumber SW) can change speed, pause, play forward and backward etc.

> And e-ink would suck power if there were animations (prevents standby between page turns)

Ok, this I did not know. Would this still be true for subtle animations? Or the newer e-ink screens?
PerspexSphinx is offline   Reply With Quote