View Single Post
Old 02-23-2024, 02:37 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
Here we are, drowning in the digital stream, and even so, bits of our culture just disappear. Literature, music, video; enjoy the moment. Many will not return.

I just ordered some books for my son. Paperbacks published ten or fifteen years ago, going away, unlikely to stay in print. They are collections of pulp adventure stories originally seen roughly a hundred years ago. Two layers deep in nostalgia.
I disagree. We are not losing our culture. It's just changing formats.
  • Instead of pBooks, we have eBooks for literature.
  • We still have music. It's just mostly in a digital format. We are not stuck with MP3. There are plenty of sources for CD quality or higher quality. Even Apple Music now streams in lossless or hi-res.
  • Video has never been better with widescreen (or 16:9) 4K/HDR (be it Dolby Vision or HDR10).

How will they never return? They never left. They just changed formats. If we stuck with the original format, we'd be reading on stone tablets, listening to music on cylinders, and watching video in 4:3 B&W SD on tiny TV screens.

Just because you have fond memories of old pulp fiction type pBooks does not mean we've lost our culture.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote