Thread: StoryGraph MR Reading Challenge Masterpost
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2023, 04:04 PM   #29
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
I'm still working through Worsley. I dislike the way in which she occasionally uses slang, which jars in a book about Austen and Georgian England.
I think that’s part of what set my teeth on edge a bit; it’s a perfectly pleasant read but there’s a lack of rigor. And I run into variations of this problem frequently it seems, when the voice of the text doesn’t match the reality of the setting. Historical novels with 21st century sensibilities, for example; it’s also endemic in myth retellings in the original setting.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote